Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My Experience in English 111

My experiences in English 111 have been rewarding as a writer. I have always had difficulties with school and writing. English has always been my worst subject. In high school I just couldn’t grasp the deeper meaning to things that I read. I tried to take from the text itself but just did not understand what I read. Sometimes I had to reread over and over because I found myself losing concentration easily. Forget even trying to remember what was in the stories. If it wasn’t fresh in my head then it was lost somewhere in transition. Even now I still have some difficulties but this class has taught me how to break the story down and to pick it apart. It taught me how to analyze things to a greater degree of understanding it. I never even knew what rhetorical appeals were until coming to this class. Those appeals have helped me to get a better grasp on things I read and hear now. The synthesis was also difficult for me as well. I still have a little trouble trying to synthesize between two pieces of work and compare them but I’m working on that. Everyday is a learning process and I get better with more knowledge and understanding of the things around me.
As for the actual class itself, it was definitely an experience for me. I have to admit that when I first read the blackboard, I thought I was in for one heck of a time. I had the impressions of a strict college professor. I had this image in my head of a suit and tie guy that was uptight. I was a little scared coming to class for fear of failure. Then when we finally met the teacher it was a sigh of relief that he had this sense of humor about him. I still remember the first day of class when all the students sat there wondering where the teacher was at. We all sat quietly and patiently. It was pretty funny when all of a sudden he got up from the middle of the classroom after about ten minutes had passed. I didn’t see it coming. I thought that was pretty crazy and figured this may be worth sticking around for. Then he stated his expectations of us as students. He laid out the outline of the course and gave us all the assignments and due dates up front. He pretty much made it as clear as possible so there will be no excuses for missed work. I was a little worried that I may not be able to perform since this was my worst subject. However, this is a class that was required so whether I stick this one out or go to another, I will still be in the same spot of performing. The most difficult part for me was the presentations and to hear up front that I had two by the end of the semester was terrifying. I figured that if I just blink and take that deep breathe then I can make it through. I’ve never liked to be in the spotlight and still don’t but that’s okay. It was part of the assignment and I realize now that I was not alone.
I will take what I did learn in this class and hopefully do well in my English 112 class.

No comments: